Tuesday 12 March 2013

Zucchini Tuesday - Zucchini trifolati

Now I am sure that you will agree with me that 4 zucchini is not a glut, but compared to the productivity to date from my zucchini, 4 feels like inundation.


The slightly cooler weather (still in the low 30s) has been kinder on all my plants and the zucchini is finally comfortable enough to set a number of fruit.


Armed with 4 small home-grown zukes, I decided to make this side dish. The recipe comes from a Gourmet Traveller but which issue I have no idea, I cut the recipe out. I provide the amounts here I used which are  pretty much the same as in the original  recipe. It takes no time at all to make. The most time consuming part is slicing the zuke very thinly which I definitely recommend you doing - it's worth it. Indeed 'trifolati' in Italian (apparently) means to slice thinly as you would a truffle.

Zucchini trifolati  (* from the garden)
50mls extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves crushed
2 anchovy fillets
*1 tbsp chopped rosemary
* 4  small zucchini  sliced thinly across wise ( the recipe suggests two yellow and two green skinned)
* 2 tbsp oregano leaves

Heat the oil and add garlic, rosemary and anchovy fillets and cook until the anchovy starts to disappear. Add zucchini and oregano and stir until zucchini is just tender. Serve warm or at room temp.  It would be beautiful with a white fish or smoked chicken, I had it with some left over cold roast lamb because that's what I had hanging around.

How is your zucchini crop? Still going?  Contemplating zucchini preserves yet? Relish or chutney?

This week Jen from Digging up the Dirt has made a zucchini burger, I am liking it!

Until next week - love your zucchini

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have a zucchini free dinner today (I know, on zucchini Tuesday, how could I???!!) but will be back next week with a vengeance. My two hardworking zukes are going strong and will be for a while yet I reckon, but even so I'm not really a relish person, so my zucchini are likely to head for the dehydrator or freezer.
    PS - love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for any guilt. One can only eat zucchinis so many days in a row. I am liking the idea of freezing grated zucchini for winter stews but trying to think ahead for next years show...

      Delete
  2. Both my zucchini have gone the way of spent zucchini plants - into the green waste bin. The one in the pot served me moderately well while the one in the ground (shaded by neighbouring trees and my beans) produced zilch.

    That recipe looks good - I'll give it a try next season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good or bad zucchinis end that way. I think by now most people have ditched theirs. Mine are only allowed to remain in the patch becasue it was too hot earlier for them to produce and I have much bigger beds this time.

      Delete
  3. Maybe I gave up on my plant too soon although I am enjoying having my garden path back....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you fancy an anchovy or two, next year when you have another zuke, you might like to hide anchovies in this dish.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I'm going to try that, it sounds great. Or zucchini is struggling a bit. We did have 3 plants, one succumbed to powdery mildew, so much that I pulled it out, thinking the others might appreciate more air. The mildew has been a problem adn many of the fruit don't progress well. so we certainly haven't had a glut but we are getting some. I wonder if they were a bit crowded, maybe I'll try one plant and more TLC next season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that in this dryer Mediterranean climate I am not getting any powdery mildew at all. Unlike in humid Sydney. That's why I am a little confused about you in dry Adelaide... should be like my climate , so perhaps you are spot on, a little more air around your plants.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...