Wednesday 21 August 2013

Little lost lambs


Our lovely 38 ewes started lambing on 4th August and so far we have 21 bouncing babes, 8 of them as twins. They are called bouncing babes for a reason -  they do bounce! It is remarkable how fast they take to their feet, how quickly they find their mummies milk and how soon and fast they run.



Frustratingly, each time I video them they do nothing! Then next time I glance out the window, 7 babies have clubbed together and are kicking up their little hooves and dashing en-masse back and forward across the paddock! Fabulous fun, quick where is the camera?


But we have had two little tragedies losing two little lambs, both at birth we think. One baby was a very big lad and his mum obviously had a hard time landing him. I feel a little sad that I didn't know that the ewe in question was having trouble otherwise I would have headed out with my gloves and lubricant, my memorisation of the correct presentation of lambs and what I had to do to assist.

The other loss was a tiny little girl. She was probably a little pre-mature, in any case she was very small.

Poor little babes and poor ewes who bleated for their babies for a long time...


We're poor little lambs who've lost our way,
Baa, Baa, Baa!
We're little black sheep who've gone astray,
Baa, Baa, Baa! 

Both little lambies have been taken into my vegetable patch marked and remembered first with a little sprig of rosemary then later a fruit tree. Thank you lost lambies, we know where you are, you are not lost.


* Neither of the lost lambs was photographed. The lambs and ewes pictured here are all fine and well and bouncing.

8 comments:

  1. My bottle baby pet lamb is a big girl now out with the main flock at work. But when the farmers got them all in to worm them the other day I happened to go outside, and there was a loud bleat of 'Mama'. Poopsie the lamb came running out of the crowd and up to lick my hand. Made me all emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad. But the rest are looking wonderful and its lovely to see you have remembered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flock expands each day and each new one is as cute as the one before!

      Delete
  3. That's sad. Nice that the little lambs will contribute to the farm by fertilizing a fruit tree. The circle of life.

    I love the look of your sheep, by the way, they are very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, I like them too. We wanted Dorpers in part cause we think they are very attractive.

      Delete
  4. What sweet lambs and sheep. I love their black heads. What a story about birthing them. love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are rather fond of them. You should think about visiting while they are still young and bouncing!

      The assisted birthing experience was amazing.I can see why people become midwives.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...