Wednesday 13 March 2013

Mystery Peach

This summer has been a season of peaches. When we moved to our new patch, there were 4 peach trees around the house which had all set fruit. Three of the trees ripened pretty much together even though they were different varieties - some largish, some quite small, some cling stone, some free stone.  All three trees that have so far offered up their bounty have been yellow skinned and fleshed, some with a prominent blush and some with hardly any, all delicious.

The fourth tree has now ripened up but I am perplexed, the fruit are small and yellowish green. They are ripe, definitely ripe as they are a little soft to the touch, smell fabulous and come away from the tree easily and they are drawing the crimson rozellas and the wallaby to them. Yesterday I realised that they weren't going to 'blush' and decided to pick some,


 and try them out.


They are cling stones with a whitish flesh, they are pretty delicious but a little sharper in taste that the others our patch has yielded.

I have checked  my fruit  growing bible which has a great list of different varieties of most fruits and none listed seem to describe these peaches.

I even tried ABC Riverina Radio Gardening talk-back! (Never done that before!)

Does anyone out there know what variety these may be?  They are very late season and I have noticed that  they tend to bruise quite easily.

Have you some fruit coming on? What has been the fruit of the season for you?

8 comments:

  1. That's really quite intriguing isn't it? If no-one can work out what it is and you get to name it I think you should call it the Wallaby Peach in honour of your summer visitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea, wallaby peach, or perhaps Highfield Peach.

      Delete
  2. Oh I do enjoy a mystery - I hope you manage to solve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very cool. Maybe it is some old and now rare variety. They look delicious! I do love peaches. My kids are so eager for our baby peach tree to start bearing fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see that the children are hanging out for the tree to bear!

      Delete
  4. They look fabulous and so juicy! Amazing, considering how dry it has been (or is that just here?).

    I hope you solve the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its been very dry here! They have been getting lots of grey water.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...