Friday 12 October 2012

Post-work pickings

It's Friday and nothing soothes a week of work like a garden inspection. And garden inspections are even better when there is lots to pick as there was this afternoon.

 It's not a bad pick for mid-spring but it also represents the last of the winter crop.


 There are two cauliflowers - pretty good sized, but these are the last of the caulis now.


I also picked the last main head of broccoli and lots of side shoots.


I also picked the last of the snow peas. Despite the fact that today was a cold ( for Sydney) 16 degrees Celsius with a heavy dump of snow in the Blue Mountains, last week's 33 degree day turned the snow peas off.  While there is plenty of lovely healthy green growth, there are no more flower buds.


There is another bunch of radishes - funny how most are bright red and one is darker. 




And the first bulb from my fennel cluster.


8 comments:

  1. I did exactly the same thing, just now! I inspected the veggie garden and seedlings (though I haven't picked anything as something home-made out of the freezer will be my lazy Friday night dinner).

    I've had an unbelievably stressful work-week and it soothed my soul just wandering around having a look. Wine helps, too.

    Your pickings are just lovely and picture perfect! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many reasons to grow a garden aren't there, and stress release is one of them. Hope next week is calmer.

      Delete
  2. Yum yum. I am very jealous of the cauliflowers. It seems a shame about the snow peas but I guess it makes space for something else. Boy it sure was cold and miserable today huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, crazy day. I felt sorry for all those up in the Blue Mountains without any power when it was so cold with 15cms of snow. Yep, it's time for beans now anyway.

      Delete
  3. The snow peas and the fennel look lovely. I have some English peas planted. They are struggling a little. I hope I get some to eat, and some for the kids to eat.

    I wanted fennel and planted it 2 times, but lost all the seedlings to some sort of bug or bunny or caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peas are good fun aren't they! Bummer about your fennel. Are you raising the seed or are you direct sowing? I find both works for me but in your situation you could try raising the seed some where safe before planting out? Once they get going, fennel are pretty indestructible.

      Delete
  4. Those cauli's look great! I think I've got a few planted but they haven't even formed heads yet, so I'm starting to doubt what I planted! I had to laugh when I saw the fennel picture and was going to write a comment about how I'd read somewhere that you can cut fennel off at the base and it will regrow, then scrolled down your blog and realised that it was you that wrote about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! You are a little colder than us and caulis are liable to tricking you. They form heads really quickly. Sometimes you think nothing is happening and then low and behold, there is a big pile of curds just waiting to be picked.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...