Thursday 18 October 2012

From scarf to rug

A while ago now, I decided to try my hand at crochet again.  I used to crochet a lot - I made rugs and rugs  (rugs mostly), rugs that I still wrap myself in them on cold winter nights. Then I got a bad case of RSI and gave up. (The RSI was work induced - not from making too many rugs although one might wonder!)

But in my post Crochet and the Fairy Godmother, I blogged about how walking past a wool shop recently, I was drawn in by the lure of textile and decided to tackle a small project  -  a scarf  made of granny squares -  to see if I could manage crochet again.Well, I quickly finished the project without pain and decided that I didn't really want a scarf after all - I wanted a rug (old habits are obviously hard to change).


So I got hooking.


I have made about 40 squares now - half way thru an 80 square rug.



I am loving the murky colours and think they go so well with all our other things.The only thing holding me back is that the wool shop is out of the lovely dirty orange colour - called Tuscan.


Oh well, I am hooked on hooking again and now find it hard to sit at night without wool in my hands.  Looks like I am going to have to take on another project... no, not another rug!

I am contributing this to My Creative Space. Take a look at the things that others are making.

7 comments:

  1. How fun! Your rug is coming along nicely, love the colors and swirly pattern.

    I enjoy crocheting as well, mostly hats and scarves but alas have fallen out of the habit. Although, the significant other has been hinting for some crocheted slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phuong, nice to hear from you. I'd recoment gettin back into the crochet, I havbe sio enjoyed it and it's fun!I like the idea of crochet slippers, especially as you are going into the cold seasons. m

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Such gorgeous colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bek, colours are so individual aren't they. I think I have an odd palette very like my grandmother's , muted and murky, but my maternal grandmother and I are very much the same colouring. It is looking pretty stunning and it is going to be needed at the new property.

      Delete
  3. Love the combinations, you're so good to do these things, I have a half knitted sccarf thats been sitting on my side board for at least 6 months, or at least from when Essendon's form started to dip and my motivation to wear their colours publically lessened slightly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cold of my future abode is driving the wool thing. I will need more cuddly rugs, scarves and socks. And I feel less bad if I watch telly with something in my hands!

      Delete
  4. I love the colors you have chosen!It will make a beautiful and inviting rug. Hmmm...maybe I should dust that hook off!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...