Monday 8 October 2012

Harvest Monday - 8th October 2012

I am still harvesting a mix of winter and summer crops.


I am picking the last of my broccoli and cauliflower. I have only one head of broccoli left now - still maturing.  Most of my broccoli pick from here on will be side shoots.


I have savoy cabbages still in the bed and they will take a while longer. I am harvesting  big hands full of snow peas every second day but didn't manage to take any photos of them...

I am sneaking the tips from my new baby basil,


 the young leaves of parsley and the long stems of sticky thyme flowers.


And fresh bright beautiful baby radishes. 


Daphne's place has plenty more harvests to drool over, or will have when the earth turns a little more.

7 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your basil. Mine are just tiny little pin-pricks barely out of the seed-raising mix. I've sown lots and lots having heard it is a whitefly deterent. Ditto with marigolds. They are pin-pricks too. Maybe they'll all be ready for the 2013 - 2014 season. Can you tell I'm getting frustrated with Victoria's weather???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nina, I am sorry! But think of the advantages - two at least. No stink bugs, no fruit fly!( And something about livable cities and the best game on earth). And they are tiny tips of basil, in fact it is possible that I have ruined the crop to come by pinching these - I just couldn't wait.

      Delete
  2. those baby radishes look AMAZING. I live in Vegas and want to start vegetable gardening, but I don't know what I can plant in this warm fall season- any ideas?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely radishes.... I think it might be good for you to get advice from someone more local to you. Vegas is very dry right and also cold in winter?

      You could try Blotanical in my blog handy links side bar to search for veggie bloggers closer to you more in tune with your growing conditions?

      Got luck, its fun to grow some of your own.

      Delete
  3. Have just discovered your lovely blog via Foxslane. I'm growing vegies in the Inner West too but I'm afraid yours put me to shame :-) I love your tip about Fennel as a cut and come again, I just read that celery can be regrown from the roots too, one to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks flowerpress, glad to have you drop by. Oh funny, I was just about to blog about celery as well being a cut and come again. I will drop into your blog too for a look.

      Delete
    2. Oh just looked at your blog and love your sewing. I will have to spend some serious time looking thru all your pretty things.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...