Monday 12 August 2013

Harvest Monday - 12 Aug '13

I am loving the garden at the moment. The produce keeps coming in and it's all so vibrantly coloured. This week as with many previous weeks, it's a brassica-dominated pick. No surprises really, it is winter here.

The prettiest combination of colours I think came from the purple cauliflower (which I think tastes like broccoli), the lime-green Romanesco broccoli (which I think tastes like cauli) and the side shoots from the Calabrese broccoli (which refreshingly taste like broccoli).


I also picked one of the last two Mini Womboks. This went into a great pork and wombok stir-fry.


Mountains of parsley went into Salsa Verde, my new favourite sauce on everything.


And thanks to the raid on my patch of my heavily pregnant sheep, I harvested  these three mini-sized ( or undeveloped) Romanesco broccoli and a Mini cabbage.


I also picked spring onions and chives but didn't photograph these.

While there is bounty now, I can feel the hungry gap approaching...

What are you picking? Head off to Daphne's to see pickings from elsewhere.

15 comments:

  1. Lovin' your Romanesco - as do those naughty girls, it seems! The amount of stuff I've had destroyed by two innocent looking chooks, cheeky parrots and pain-in-the-butt black birds, never mind all the bugs and things, is unbelievable!

    Still, we keep going, don't we? If it were easy, would we enjoy it so much? Hmm, yeah, probably!

    I'm picking broccoli (the main heads are just finished, I'm waiting on the side shoots to beef up), parsnip, carrot thinnings, parsley and surprisingly, chillis. My cauliflower and cabbage are a long way off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, chillies still! I kind of think my lambies will be stronger becasue of the broccoli nibblings.

      Delete
    2. I'm amazed that a few of the chilli plants are still going strong. They are grown against a brick wall, which makes all the difference. I'm under strict instructions by my daughter and her partner to grow LOTS more next season so they can benefit from the samal oelek, which they can't get enough of.

      Delete
  2. Salsa Verde - yum! Its been too long since I made it. I'm thinking tomorrow night with some fish... My harvests are drying up a little too - although I still have a few things I'm waiting on - provided I don't let those chooks out too often....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered that salsa verde on steamed broccoli and cauli is wonderful. I have so much broccoli and cauli and parsley, it seems a great way to beat those gluts. It's lovely on fish too... sigh. I am too far from the sea to eat much fish!

      Delete
  3. Lovely brassicas, even if they are having identity crises. Salsa verde sounds great, I'll have to remember that when the basil dies off and the parsley is going gangbusters. Still got a few months though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish for basil. Have to wait til its warmer...

      Delete
  4. Those Romanesco broccoli look fantastic, I brought the seed but forgot to sow, so next autumn. I am coming to that end of season gap before the summer crops too. Although I am hoping the purple sprouting brocoli will take me through till the first of spring crops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice cauliflower! I tried growing Romanesco broccoli last year with no success. Maybe next year. Lovely Chinese cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a shame, I wonder why? I found them pretty easy, certainly easier than caulis. I did have a lot of manure in the soil so maybe that's a feature of success?

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous cauliflower and cabbage! I can only wish to grow such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sure you have beautiful produce too!

      Delete
  7. You're right about the colors coming out of your garden currently...Phenomenal! I love it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also eat with our eyes right! Can't wait for me red cabbage.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...