Tuesday 20 August 2013

Unfettered feta

You'd think it would be easy to buy unhomogenised milk in the country-side right? Wrong, in fact it is quite difficult to buy  three things here in the bush, unhomogenised milk, any locally produced food and most deli items, oh, and I forgot, there is a fourth thing, rye flour!

But to stop me raving any more on supermarkets and food distribution systems, I can report that the other day I DID find a stash of unhomogenised milk at a supermarket and promptly bought the fridge out (there was only 6 litres and I got them all!).

Why you ask? To make cheese! You see I want to practise cheese making so that I am ready to rip when the lovely Geranium the Dexter produces her calf and allows me to milk her.

The other day I took the feta challenge and used 5 litres of my unhomogenised milk stash to make it. I was so nervous that it wouldn't work that I didn't take many photos, but I am pleased to say that it DID work and that I did take some photos.

So now that I don't have to declare failure, here are the curds draining - 5 litres made 3 baskets full of curds and these drained down to about half the size of each basket.


Here is one of the freshly drained cheeses -  still quite soft.


And here is some of the feta stash popped in a jar with oil and rosemary, pepper and chilli.

It was surprisingly easy to make and tastes surprisingly good even though I made it with bought cow's milk and not with sheep milk as feta is traditionally made.

Yesterday, I had some of the marinated feta on a piece of toast with sun-dried tomatoes on top for lunch - heaven! Today, it is a feta and pistachio nut damper to have with pumpkin and parsnip soup.

I will have to think of more things to do with feta given that I have quite a stash. Got a feta recipe to share?

Thinking of trying to make some of your own cheese? Based on this one experience -  do it, it is easy!

I'm off into town to see if I can find more unhomogenised milk!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I have been wanting to try making cheese for so long, but Im a bit nervous about it. It certainly looks yummy. I dont know if I will just attempt it or do a workshop first. Yours looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I too contemplated doing a course but bro g too independently minded for my own good and frightened by the cost I forged ahead by my self withthe support of a book and ingredients from cheeselinks.ate you in oz or elsewhere?

      Delete
    2. Hmm, don't text while walking is the moral of that story! Apologies for the typos!

      Delete
  2. Is there no end to your talents?? Wow, home-made feta, I LOVE feta.

    It sounds weird but watermelon, basil and feta salad with a splash of lime juice and grind of black pepper tastes good. You can substitute mint for the basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish it were summer, that's a great salad!

      Delete
  3. My favourite feta combinations: beetroot with feta and mint, broad beans with green garlic and feta, feta and parsley (in filo triangles), feta and spinach (spanakopita), feta and dill on cucumber - with the dill and feta whipped to dress the cucumber, Feta and pumpkin with pretty much any herb you can think of. I could probably go on but will spare you. I am something of a feta fan as you can see. Oh one last one - crumbled through a tomato chilli and olive sauce for pasta and topped with lots of parsley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent suggestions. In fact I am addicted to your beetroot and feta salad. I cant wait to try the broad bean combo when my broad beans are ready to go.

      Delete
  4. Yum! Homemade halloumi is also delicious and surprisingly easy, which is about as complicated as my homemade cheesemaking has gotten. I've been meaning to do cream cheese from Gavin's recipe. One day. I love feta in watermelon salad much like Nina, but mine is more like a greek salad with added watermelon. Salty and sweet and oh so yum. Also love it in frittata with some good chorizo (come on, when are you making your own sausages?...) and peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, I will try Haloumi next. Don't get me started on thoughts of sausgae making... I could EASILY get into that.

      Delete
  5. I had feta with a potato, tomatoey, onion and spinach mix today. Yum. Oh home-made feta would have been so much nicer. Good job. I will have to investigate making it. Gosh I am hungry again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait a second. Don't you have lambing sheep? Therefore all the key ingredients of sheep's feta right out in your paddock? Or is milking a sheep easier said than done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true, you are right! Its something we have contemplated. Right now everything is new and we are taking one step at a time. There are also breeds that are best for wool and meat and milk. Our girls are pretty much meat sheep . Just having ewes that successfully lamb is big enough at the moment! But you are right , sheep feta is the best!

      I'd like to make sheep milk cheese but that will
      take sometime.I can hand milk a cow and therefore I can only imagine the process is
      much the same. Perhaps we should try it out on these girls.?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...