Monday 26 August 2013

Harvest Monday - 26 August '13

While there is definitely spring in the air, the pick is still a wintery one. Here is our pick for the last week.


I picked more distinctly odd purple-tinged Romanesco Broccoli. They look more like strange sea creatures than a vegetable. So far I have had just as many lime-green ones as purple-tinged ones.


I had thought that the seeds I had purchased were for a lime-green form only. While they look very weird, they just taste like cauliflower but perhaps a little crunchier?

I have picked the first of the Red Drumhead cabbages, more broccoli side shoots and the first of the Brussels sprouts.

This is the first time I've grown sprouts and I am not sure that I am doing a good job. The sprouts are quite small and not very firm but I am sure they will be delicious steamed.

 The fennel on the other hand are a real success. The recent rain  has made the bulbs large and juicy. There are many many more fennel bulbs to pick over the next month or so.


The rain has also swelled the celery stalks (which I didn't photograph) - at the moment I have more celery than I know what to do with. Celery soup perhaps?  Is there such a thing?

That's been the week's pick. Pop over to Daphne's to see what others are picking.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, there is something of the sea creature in that purple romanesco! I'm sure they don't taste like that though. :) And those fennel bulbs are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at your fennel! Amazing. I've never had much success with brussel sprouts either. Although I thought that it was because of Sydney's mild climate (I'm guessing your climate is quite a bit cooler in winter than Syd). Love those funky broccoli too. I'll try them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Brussel sprouts are minisule but they look better than the first time I tried. I grew them in pots this time. The plants haven't grown tall, but remained squat in the pot which won't give me many sprouts. Oh well, I'll try again next year - they are one of my favourite veggies and I really want to learn how to grow them successfully.

    I made celery soup when I had a glut. It wasn't too bad but not something I would chomp at the bit to make or eat again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what's happened to my brussels, they haven't grown into balls at all, more like miniature open cabbages all the way up the stalks. A complete failure I think.

    But celery I know about, we've been eating celery soup by the bucketful, and really enjoying it. I make it with some potato and broccoli or cauliflower in it as well as the celery and it's really nice to add just a spoonful of creme fraiche or sour cream before serving it to mellow out the strong celery flavour. So I'd say it's definitely worth a go, and it's the best recipe I've found for using up heaps of celery too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the brussels, My crop is still fingernail size and I dont think they will get any better! That is one crop I want to succeed in. My celery is doing well, and a great way to use them if you not worried about calories is to bake them in a casserole with sliced
    fennel and cream till they are soft, oh and some breadcrumbs on top, yummy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...