Monday 16 July 2012

Monday Harvest - 16th July


A wonderful sunny winter day spent making and eating my favourite lemon cake and lolling about in the grass with friends talking about plans and dreams and changes. While lolling, we nibbled on fresh snow peas from the patch -  it doesn't get much better than that. With friends around  it was a good opportunity to share some of the produce. 


I picked 3 cabbages - two decent sized ones and a tiny one that was on the shady side of the patch and wasn't really going to get much bigger.

I kept one large one and the small one and gave the other large one away. That is the end of  the cabbages...

I also picked a big bunch of spring onions and shared half with my visitor. This is just half the bunch.


The only other produce that is in abundance at present is the rocket - I have a forest of rocket at the moment so my friends left with a huge bunch of rocket as well.  My friends tell me that the bunch will become rocket pesto. (What the hell am I going to do with the rest of the forest!). 



For more harvests pop over to Daphne's Dandelions.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely cabbages - lucky friends. My cabbages are growing very slowly indeed. Hopefully they'll do something useful soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty aren't they! I hope yours get going ...

      Delete
  2. A rocket forest is a great problem to have. Lovely looking cabbages too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must find more things to with the rocket other than just great greens.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Your produce always looks so good. I have to ask about the Rocket. What exactly is it? What does it taste like? I have heard of basil and or parsley pesto but never heard of rocket pesto. You have me intrigued.

    http://www.growitathome.wordpress.com
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocket is what Australians call arugula. Mine is quite a broadleafed one, although you can get really fine leaf varieties. I guess you have had arugula? If not then it is a pleasantly peppery tasting salad leaf. People do make pesto from it, but I don't, I prefer good old basil pesto. I really just use3 it as a salad veg.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...