Sunday 8 July 2012

Half-tail the currawong

Half-tail the currawong is in the habit of visiting most days.

This is a recent habit of his/hers. It all started one day when Half-tail just turned up one morning on the verandah.  I perhaps foolishly offered a round ball of beef mince and the rest is history.


I suspect that Half-tail is not new to the yard. Last year a pair of currawongs nested in a street tree nearby and our backyard of local natives became a play pen for the baby.

I wonder if Half-tail is the baby, or one of the adults? It might also be that it is Half-tail that comes to bathe each morning in the bird bath under the gum.

Today, Half-tail decided to come closer -  perhaps too close.  The bird ventured onto the table on the back verandah and started exploring.






Half-tail seemed very interested in the aerial of my small digital radio, bent it over and started pecking the aerial top. What kind of exotic worm is this? I decided that was enough and suggested that the bird might like to give me back my radio.

There after the bird and I engaged in a long period of mutual admiration. 


It sat close by on the verandah  rail, spreading its wings slightly seemingly enjoying the sun on its back.  While I took photos, the bird cocked its head and seems to be watching me in relaxed interest.  




There seems to be such intelligence behind those eyes.


Why is this bird named Half-tail?  Half its tail feathers are shorter than the other half.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I do like half-tail. I want one too, apparently they are quite good at catching rodents. So useful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cat Harriet catches mice but doesn't eat them. She proudly serves them up on a hall rug for us to step on. When she does we put the dead mouse in the gum and it is usually taken pretty quickly by the currawongs. Funny - a cat feeding a bird.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, and the last photo is amazing: what is he thinking about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing. Half-tail seems very interested in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great encounter. Half-tail and I stayed staring at each other for ages.

      Delete
  4. I have currawongs visit around this time of year too but they aren't nearly as domesticated as yours. They do amuse me, though, as they mimic the magpies (which I feed) and sit on the eaves of the roof trying to appear as magpie-like as possible while looking around innocently with a 'Who me? Of course I'm a magpie' look on their faces.

    I love their voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how funny! We are both black and white, aren't we?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...