Tuesday 26 February 2013

Zucchini Tuesday - Best in Show

Being singularly inept at  my own zucchini cultivation this year, I decided to see how it should be done by visiting the zucchini exhibit at the Gundagai Show.

I know you are eagerly awaiting the results, but first the category for judging - Three Zucchini, not over 18cm (I am loving the length stipulation lest people bring in their  forgotten club-like fruit). Entrants pay a $0.50c entry fee and the prize - $3.00 for the winner and $1.00 for second prize winner.

There were 9 exhibits submitted and all but one of the exhibits were dark green skinned zucchinis. The exception was a mottled skinned zucchini. And here are the prize winners.

Mr Patrick Daley has bragging rites and is $3.00 richer.




Now I am not wanting to be critical of the judges but lets face it, when we go to the show we always sit in judgement don't we? So here I go with my own expert comments -  I am a little disappointed by the scratched skin and the less than straight third zucchini.

And here is the second prize winner -  D&D Bell.




Again I am disappointed by the skin of the zucchini and the less than careful trim of the cut end... poor presentation I feel.

Here is the only 'coloured' zucchini submission, just so you can get a sense of  some of the rest of the class.


I can't help thinking that some of you in blog land - yes you Bek and Liz and Jen and many others, should try your hand at a regional agricultural show. From your harvests I can see that you would be very competitive in a 3 zucchini under 18cms class.

Just in case you wanted to try your hand, here is the schedule of  the vegetable competition from the 2013 show, to get you preparing  ahead.

Until next week -  love your zucchini.

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha. But I do love a wonky zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you my zucchini this week are not under 18cms and would win me no prizes! I do love the idea of agricultural shows, though I don't know of any around me. Maybe I need to do some research. Oh dear, I think my competitive streak had just been awakened... oh for the possible riches and glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory more than riches. Imagine the notoriety of being known around the region as top zucchini grower! I think I might enter something next year...

      Delete
  3. I reckon I'll have to go for the best collection of salad vegetables category - I think when it comes to showing you should aways follow the money. He, he, he - great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would excel at that class, your parents must be near an agricultural show of repute... have I got you thinking?

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. Mr R has just pointed out that with 9 entries and a prize pool of $4 they made 50c! Lets hope they are not in a hurry to pay for a new exhibition tent.... Love love love the idea but sadly my crop has come to a disappointing end this year, think they preferred the heat to the rain. If only they could have held on a little longer I could have tried the Easter show? No perhaps that is a dream too big for the like of my small backyard production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it! I bet there would be a riot if they decided to up the entry fee and the prize too! I thin k you have to win at a regional show to be invited to enter the Easter Show unfortunately. I am going to make a serious effort to enter next year, it's so exciting!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...