Friday 31 May 2013

Sharing the bounty

Autumn is a time of bounty here it seems. In the last week or so we have been the very grateful recipients of the bounty of various neighbours.


First there was a huge plastic bag full of comfrey plants from digger man  'Brush' and his lovely Play School-named sister. These has been planted up into pots for the time being until I work out the best place in the beds for these fantastic plants. I can't wait to use their leaves for composting and mulching and capturing nutrients from way underground.


Then, a short time later, the same pair turned up armed with a huge and warty pumpkin,


and a bag of enormous crisp Granny Smith apples.


'Brush' and his sister live up the hills a little in Batlow -  place of apples.

Then, last night when all was dark and quiet came a set of headlights up the drive. We wondered who might be visiting at such an hour - most of our farmer neighbours are well and truly inside and snug by this time of evening. Out of the dark came a familiar voice, it was 'Heron', saying, "I thought you might like some meat, I just killed me pigs".

'Heron' came inside and handed over two large bags of bounty. One contained about 12 pork chops, a pork rib roast and a shoulder of pork, all with a lovely dark hue to the meat, totally different to the pale meat of supermarket pork.

The other bag contained 2 rabbits, beautifully dressed - 'Heron' does a great job of dressing rabbits.

One day when I have more produce of my own, I will be able to offer some in return. Have you received bounty from neighbours and friends recently? What's come over the fence to you? What's your favourite pork recipe?

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you live in a wonderful community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I am getting lots of pomegranates at the moment from a friend with a tree who doesn't use them. I have also been getting olives, both fresh and cured from a friend with a tree. Both of these gifts have been wonderful so I can only imagine how lovely it must be to receive all that meat etc. Oh and a friend gave me a pumpkin for my birthday which I thought was a fab gift, especially as I don't grow them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Community is the best part of gardening, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...