Sunday 16 September 2012

Collette the finger lime

Collette is enjoying spring, aren't we all (at least down here in the antipodes?). Collette is my finger lime - that is her variety not my nic-name for her. She's an Australian native citrus plant.

After having a few early flowers in mid March, and the flowers setting fruit, the tiny tiny black skinned fruit just sat there and got no bigger.

The other day I passed by Collette and noticed that several things had happened.

She has dropped some of the tiny fruit she set in March -  there are only 2 left now - there were 4, but, one of the fruit has started to swell - don't get too excited, it is still tiny.  Hmm, sorry, this picture is a bit blurry - it documents my finger prints better than the finger lime!


Now I am starting to day dream... finger lime with yabbies, fresh from the dam? What do you think?
(Yabbies are small fresh water crayfish, common in farm dams and muddy sided creeks).

But back to the topic - what's happening with Collette? She has lots of new dark red growth.


She has lots more flower buds.


And, best of all?  After scrolling back thru my posts on Collette, I have found her label. It appears that she is at least partly frost hardy!  Perhaps I wont have to give her up to a good home when I 'go bush'.


Does anyone else out there have a finger lime to report on?  What's happening with yours?  

10 comments:

  1. I had a couple of lime from the nursery I worked that we're being thrown out (I rescued them of course). And damn it I gave them to my cousin and uncle. Where I have good reports they are doing very nicely. I must take some photos next time I am there. Glad college is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rescuing citrus is essential! Good on cousins and uncles.

      Delete
  2. Mine is doing absolutely nothing at all - it put on quite a bit of new growth in Autumn, has done nothing over winter and no matter how often I check for flowers none seem to appear. Oh well perhaps tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! Really? What a shame, I was hoping others might be having similar successes or at least changes. I cant say I am doing anything special to her. She just sits in her pot and gets watered and thrown a few of those palletised chicken manure thingys...there is always tomorrow and you are a little later in the season than we are...

      Delete
  3. Well my poor collette was potted into dodgy Aldi potting mix (terrible - don't be tempted to buy it). She has done absolutely nothing since then, but seeing as you asked, I thought I'd go out and inspect for any hints of life. Flowers! Only a few, and hiding nderneath foliage. I think I'll repot it tomorrow into some decent mx and put th pot into full sun. The ret of my citrus are going great guns for a change, so I might as well give Collette the best chance I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee, fantastic, flowers! They can be hidden amongst their dreadful spines! Yes, I have moved mine into more sun too and given some of that pelletised chicken manure and a good soak. Hope your Collette puts a spurt on.

      It's a brilliant time of year for citrus. I hope that yours proser this year. Watch out for the stink bugs, I have seen baby ones already so they are probably on the move already in your neighbourhood. I will post about the blighters soon!

      Delete
    2. Do you have some dark red new growth?

      Delete
    3. No, none yet. But I reported today and I'll move it into full sun tomorrow. It really doesn't like the amount of shade it is getting.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Finger limes - that IS pretty exciting. I agree - I've noticed baby stink bugs already in Sydney too! And can already smell them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...