Thursday 31 October 2013

Lemon, dill and pepper

It's been a lemon, dill and pepper sort of week.

I've been on a mission to use up a stash of lemons kindly given to me by a neighbour and I also have a good crop of dill. And the pepper?  Well of course I don't grow my own pepper (although I wonder if it's possible here?), but it's just one of my favourite spices, no, it's my favourite spice -  the only one I can't do without.

What have I been making? I'm making limoncello,

Lemon peel steeping in vodka
I've made a lemon cake,


and I've marinated some home-made feta in lemon, dill, pepper and olive oil.


 I'm making pecorino cheese, unfortunately the pepper seems to have clustered!

Curds before being weighed down
 and tonight's dinner is a lemon, dill and smoked salmon pasta dish.


Yum.

8 comments:

  1. My lemon tree was very stress in winter and almost died due to my greediness of growing tomatoes so closed by, but I had been enjoying other people's lemons & limes. I had been churning lemons into different products: cake, syrup, marmalade, preserve, cleaning concentrate, zest & juice frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The death of any citrus tree is a terrible thing, glad you saved it. And thank goodness for other people's citrus! Marmalade - must make marmalade.

      Delete
  2. You should be very proud of your cheese-making abilities, I'm mightily impressed!

    I have lemons galore and they are the best they've been for years, they're nice and juicy with all the rain we've had. I've been meaning to give limoncello a bash so thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

    I’ve got a long weekend (Cup Day and a leave day – yippee!) so I’ll put it on my (long) list of things to do.

    Are you going to make some preserved lemons? I just can’t be without them in the fridge, since I first started making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But the proof of success with the pecarino will only be known after two months. The feta is a pretty instant gratification sort of thing and will become a regular cheese to make. The result is I think a nicer texture than the shop bought stuff. It's creamier and softer.

      Love preserved lemons and have a good stash... also the skins on the current lemons is not really very suitable for preserved lemons.

      Delete
  3. You are amazing Louise. That feta looks mighty fine, and the cake - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! But feta is really quite easy...no failures there yet. I have high hopes for the pecarino.

      Delete
  4. Everything you have there looks fabulous, even with the pepper cluster. Surely you meant to make a strongly pepper flavoured one and a mildly pepper flavoured one, really. I highly recommend limoncello as an addition in white sangria. I think I need to make a lemon cake this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Youa re so right! The very peppery one is for me and the milder one is for The Lad!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...