The garlic grew and thickened and then, just the other day, I realised that the plants were flagging and not responding to water. The lower leaves were browning off and the tops were yellowing - I decided to pull.
The bulbs have been sunning on various surfaces - on the deck and,
Today I decided to plait them before their stems got too brittle.
It was the first time I have tried plaiting garlic - really because I have never had any success with garlic before...
Here is the first plait on the left - a little bit loose isn't it, but things got better.
The second plait - next to the first one in the picture on the right is much tighter, and below - the third plait is even better! Yay for continuous improvement (except for the poor photography featuring the knees of the plaiter).
Finally, all 4 plaits, or rather 3 1/2, are done.
and now decorate the entrance to the house along with the Driza-bone, hat and gaiters, the garlic of course positioned to ward off any vampires that may be lurking in the Lower Snowy Mountains!
They will go somewhere airy and dark when they have dried properly in the meantime I feel like a proper peasant.